Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Window Wednesday- Diet

A question about life here that I get pretty regularly is about my diet. What do I eat? Where do I cook it? Is it super cheap to buy food here? So today's look into life here is all about that (fascinating, I know!). 

I have a full kitchen in my house that has a stove, a refrigerator, and running water. If we had power right now, I'd take a picture and show you! 

So the majority of cooking I do is just like you do. Because of our frequent power outages, there are times I cook outside over a fire (made by Patrick, lest you think I'm so outdoorsy and capable). That's only if I'm desperately craving something good to eat or I was already in the middle of cooking something and don't want to ruin it. But otherwise, I would just eat something cold if the power were out. 

For breakfast, I eat cereal every day. Every single day. It's kind of my thing, and my family sends me my favorite kinds often enough to have special cereal pretty often. Here in Zambia, my cereal options are bran flakes, corn flakes, and frosted flakes. The last few years we've been able to find Special K red berries, so that's been a step up! They do cost about $10 a box and don't taste quite the same, but beggars can't be choosers! On the off chance I don't have any milk or some other world catastrophe, I'd make some oatmeal or eat a strawberry pop-tart that's kept under lock and key! :)

Lunch and supper probably look a lot like yours, too, except much of my food comes straight from my garden! Some days I eat nshima (Zambia's staple food) with Matilda and Dillon at lunch, or I'll eat with the aunties. I love nshima, and I especially love Matilda's. Some days I eat tuna and crackers. Or grilled cheese. Or rice and beans. Or an apple and peanut butter. Or an apple and cheese. At night is when I tend to make a bigger meal, like grilled chicken and vegetables. 

Although it is cheaper in general to live here, the exception to that rule is food-- at least the food we are used to eating! Yogurt, fruit, meat, cheese, pasta, and things like that are all a lot more expensive than they would be back home. There are very few things I can't make some variation of with things I find here. It's always maybe just a little different than I'm expecting it to taste, but after time that becomes the norm. 

So overall, the diet isn't strange at all. Besides the occasional bugs we eat when the season is right and the exotic foods you can try at touristy places, my diet hasn't changed dramatically living here. I would say I end up eating healthier here probably because of all the fresh fruits and vegetables and the lack of fast food. :(

Even though we can make most things we can make at home, it doesn't mean I don't crave things from home. I just still love something that tastes like home, not an almost-version of home! 

So far on my list of things I want to eat when I'm home are:
Barnrd's 
A hot dog 
A corn dog
A turkey sandwich
Chick-fil- a
Pei Wei
Chuys
Alfredo's
Dot Wo
Panera every day
Dunkin donuts
Daylight donuts
Mcdonalds
Mclarens

Okay, I'm stopping. I'm drooling. And the food here is really good, so who needs those places anyway...

3 comments:

  1. Loved reading this insight into your life in Zambia! We'll have to meet at Panera sometime when you come back to the States! :)

    ReplyDelete