Thursday, April 3, 2014

Language School- Day 19 and prayers for Chabilo

I'm totally distracted tonight because I just found out that Chabilo, one of our sweet baby girls, is admitted in the hospital with pneumonia and trouble breathing. I feel so incredibly helpless here, and can't wait to get there tomorrow and see how she really is. I've been so grateful that everyone has stayed totally healthy while I've been gone, so at least she waited until the night before I came home to get sick! That only leaves one night to wish I were there and not here! Please pray for healing for our sweet baby girl. 

In other sad news, I read something crazy tonight in one of my stories from a school text book that I practice reading in. Since I've lived here, I've heard so many things people do to try to cure themselves of HIV. I've always been disturbed by it, and we've had a lot of classes dispelling many of those myths. But today, in a 4th grade school book, I read this article:
One of the main myths spread all over Africa is that If you have sex with a child, it will cleanse you of your HIV. This story is warning kids that men and women both may try to give them sweets or money to bribe them, and then the children could get sick and die. It breaks my heart that those words have to be in a textbook, and that children have to be warned of horrors like this. It's just so hard to wrap my mind around realities like this in the world, eventhough I see and hear about them daily. It makes me want to pour every bit of love I have into the kids in our lives and preach to them how much worth they have. Despite how sad it is that this article even exists in a child's book, one neat thing about it is that the last line of the story says, "God loves all these children." Two things you wouldn't find in our school books at home on one page! 

I have such mixed emotions about leaving here tomorrow. I'm thrilled to get back home,especially now that Chabilo is admitted, but I'll definitely miss Ba Mwiinga, all the time to learn, and the simplicity of living here. I'm just beyond grateful I've been given this opportunity. 

One more day of classes and a final exam and I'm on my way! Thanks for your love and prayers!

1 comment:

  1. As I read, I think I can see evidence of God's lovingly gracious and tender timing of events and experiences of these days.

    ReplyDelete