Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Language school- Day 2

Let me start off by saying that I'm sure very few of you are interested in hearing the nitty gritty of my experience at language school. However, so many of you have sent emails and asked how it's going so far, and I really do want to remember what I was thinking through it all, so here I write. Just come back in a month if this bores you to tears-- I don't blame you! 

The day started out pretty great because I got 100% on my homework last night. It always feels good to start the day with a little success before you get beaten down. :)

I can't say enough how much I love my teacher. There are many reasons why he's a perfect fit for me, but here are a few:
1. He's a retired, gray haired man and doesn't make me feel uncomfortable spending hours alone all day with him. 
2. He laughs all the time. 
3. He's super patient with my easily-frustratable self. 
4. He is a retired principal of a high school and a college (They have those here. Principals for colleges, not colleges.) So he really knows how to teach, even down to the smaller but equally important things like giving me some affirmation often so I don't totally give up. 
5. He LOVES and values the fact that I'm a teacher. I can't even count how many times he has brought this up as a blessing. Eventhough it means I ask tons of questions, he still thinks it's great. And he knows the answers to ALL my questions. 
6. He is a writer. He has written 3 published books about the Tonga people and their language, and he's written another one that's still awaiting publication. He is always looking for the best way to say something, and he's always weaving facts about Tonga culture into our lessons. 
7. He knows when to back off and change course. Today we were studying something before lunch that was just baffling me to no end. I just couldn't understand it (possessive predicate personal pronouns). So when I came back from lunch, he had a bunch of new sentences up on the board that he thought might help me understand it more. He thought wrong. :) BUT when he saw how hard and disheartening it was becoming for me, he suggested maybe we shelve this particular topic for a few days until we've done more with tense. 

Before we left for the day, he put up this Tonga proverb:

              Caalila ncedonga        

Which means

What is incomprehensible is what I should always strive to know

I just love that. It was just a good, gentle reminder that I should keep striving, that it will get easier, and that there's always value in the striving. 


1 comment:

  1. Ask him to say 'Seize the day' in Chitonga.....: )

    ReplyDelete