Thursday, December 20, 2012

Giddy

I have a feeling I won't get much sleep tonight. I am BEYOND excited about tomorrow. Tomorrow, I get to see the faces of (hopefully) hundreds of babies that have changed my life in immeasurable ways. There is very little on this earth I love more than seeing our babies that have gone home, healthy, happy, thriving.

 
Lweendo

Lola

Brandon
A couple of weeks ago, I decided I really wanted to see all of our babies-gone-home before the rains made the roads to where they stay impassable. So, I asked Kathi and Mama what they thought about having a "little" Christmas gathering. They laughed, shook their heads, and started baking :). Today alone, Kathi baked about 7 cakes, each big enough to feed 32 people! I wrote the list out of all the babies that have gone back home since 2006, when I first moved here, and Namwianga Radio called them out and told them to come back for a Christmas party.

I AM GIDDY.

I'm giddy, but not totally unrealistic. I know for every child that willingly runs into our arms and loves us, we'll have more that keep their heads down and act withdrawn and completely unlike the children we sent back to their villages. In fact, Anderson showed up today (he missed the party by a day!) and looked at me like I'd lost my ever-lovin' mind when I ran and scooped him up into my arms. He warmed up pretty fast, though!

So I know I'll probably be a little disappointed by some. I know some of the ones I'm longing to see the most, the ones that completely rocked my world and changed my path in life, won't be able to make it. I know other children I lost sleep over for months trying to make them well will now see me as a stranger. That's always hard and humbling.

But still, I won't sleep tonight, dreaming of little faces that we'll celebrate Christmas with tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. God knows, even if the kiddos don't. But here's praying that many still remember and express the love they were given.

    ReplyDelete